It’s SL’s first African Festival! It kicked off yesterday with Nigerian National Day and it will last through Sunday Oct 4. The Saminaka sim will host new exhibits, a fabulous treasure hunt, a festival village, a canoe regatta and durbar, talks about African music, art, and spirituality, contests, parties with African music, and tons of enjoyable activities!!! See below schedule for 4 days of fun and culture!
Let the celebration of the Bright Continent begin! From Oct. 1 (Nigerian National Day) through 4th, Saminaka (Virtual Nigeria) is hosting SL’s first African Festival. Besides the sim’s usual displays on Nigerian culture and Timbuktu, its African Library, restaurant, and traditional marketplace, there will be exhibits, events, talks, and contests galore!
Masqueraders, stiltwalkers and African music help create the festive atmosphere. New exhibits on Nigerian plants, the Nupe people and the horse in Africa complement the fun of a traditional decorated canoe regatta and a durbar–a procession of decorated horses and their riders, as well as nightly dance parties to the latest African tunes.
- Want to know more about African music? RL musician Oliha Yiwama talks about drumming, RL art historian Tamsin Barzane about African art, and Oliha again on African spirituality.
- Virtual Harlem’s Bryan Mnemonic will speak at the kick-off of Ananse, a new SL/RL group of scholars involved with Africa and the diaspora, and a tour of African-related sims will follow.
- Contests? There’s a writing one (1000 words or less, any format), a canoe-decorating one, three photo competitions (African plants, durbar, and African animal avatars), and a best-dressed African “look-off”.
- Festival Marketplace, as well as the sim’s permanent African stores.
- African botanical hunt, where each flora-related prize (dresses with plant patterns, furniture with plant motifs, etc) is hidden near an African plant.
It’s a mix of culture, music, creativity, shopping, spectacle, education–the next best thing to being there!
Scheduled Events (SLT=Pacific Time)
Contact Tamsin Barzane for more information
Fri, Oct. 2
2-5 pm DJ Blade Unsustainable plays African House!!! This is not your typical; don’t miss it!
5 pm slt African music–talk & performance–“Are drums a family Event?” by Oliha Yiwama
6 pm slt Durbar—Nigerian procession of decorated horses and riders
African Music Video Party or Dj’d dance to follow
Sat., Oct. 3
11 am slt African art—talk and slideshow by Tamsin Barzane—“The ‘Rules’ of African Art”
Noon slt Canoe regatta, Nigerian-style, with decorated boats (prize)
5 pm slt Masqueraders, stiltwalkers, acrobats African Music Video Party or live performance to follow
Sun., Oct. 4
11-2 pm slt Bryan Mnemonic’s lecture and launch of Ananse group of Africa and Diaspora Academics in Second Life (off Saminaka, on Univ. of Delaware sim), followed by guided tours to several sims
5 slt African spiritual traditions—talk by Oliha Yiwama (traditional priest, musician, anthropologist)
6 Following talk, masqueraders, stiltwalkers and acrobats—join in!
6:30 slt Closing dance party with second DJ—African male and female dress competition; announcements of writing & photo contest winners
Fireworks on the beach